I know, buying a piece of art feels selfish. It feels like a splurge of the highest order. You should pay bills instead. You should donate that money to the homeless.
But what about the benefits to you, as a person, homeowner, and lover of beautiful things??
TEN REASONS TO BUY ART THAT YOU LOVE
1. A work of art lifts your spirits whenever you look at it.
2. Your friends and family will envy you.
3. Being kind to yourself is one of the unwritten laws of life.
4. Art appreciates in value--especially after the artist is dead and gone!
5. If you dabble in painting or drawing yourself, seeing good art on your walls will motivate you to dig our the paint and brushes and create.
6. The colors in a painting, if chosen carefully, will enhance your slightly worn out furniture and decor and give them a much needed lift.l
7. A gorgeous painting might inspire your children to take up art. Who knows? They could be the next Picasso or Rembrandt!
8. A hundred years from now--even five years from now--the few hundred dollars you spent on that painting will be water under the bridge and long forgotten.
9. There are many ways today to purchase artwork: Cash, credit card, layaway, or barter. Most artists are more than willing to negotiate, too.
10. You could be one of the first in a long line of an artists collectors, and therefore put yourself in an enviable position. People will want what you have, and pay good money for it at some time in the future.
There. If that doesn't allay your fears about buying art, don't know what will. Now go out there and find a painting that knocks your socks off!